Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Emily Wilde's Map of the Otherlands by Heather Fawcett

Rating: 4 star rating

I just finished reading Emily Wilde's Map of the Otherlands by Heather Fawcett, and I am still trying to figure out how I truly feel about it. On one hand, the book has a very nice plot, and the snowy alpine setting feels magical, cozy, and imaginative. I also enjoy reading about the main characters and their interesting and crazy escapades.

The story follows Emily, a socially awkward professor, as she goes on an expedition to the Austrian Alps with her colleague Wendell, her niece Ariadne, and a professor named Dr. Rose to find a hidden faerie door.

On the other hand, there were times when the story felt a bit tedious to get through. It goes into a large amount of detail about fairy history, and there are constantly new characters coming and leaving, which made it hard to keep up with the main characters.  

While it is a well written story, the slow pacing and heavy world-building held it back for me. Even after turning the final page, I am still not entirely sure if this is the right book for me, but it is worth a look if you are interested in fantasy lore.

Thank you, NetGalley, Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine/Del Rey, and author Heather Fawcett for this ebook review consideration. All review opinions are my own.

#NetGalley 
#RandomHousePublishingGroupBallantine
#DelRey
#HeatherFawcett author 
#EmilyWildesMapoftheOtherlands 

http://goodreads.com/patriciasreadingroom

http://www.patriciasreadingroom.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment