Rated: 5 star rating
I just finished reading The Castle in the Glen by Rhys Bowen, and I have to say I absolutely loved this book. This was actually the very first time I've read anything by this author, and I am hooked. The way the story is written completely drew me in, and I already know I am going to have to go out and find more of the author's books as soon as possible and read them.
The story is about a young Australian author named Emma Callander who is living in London and dealing with a massive case of writer's block. Out of nowhere, she gets a job offer to help ghostwrite the final book for Iris Blackburn, an incredibly famous older novelist.
Iris is starting to suffer from dementia and really needs help finishing her story, which takes place out on the Isle of Skye in Scotland. Iris actually pays for Emma to take an all expenses paid trip up to the island so she can get a feel for the setting and the local culture.
Once Emma gets up to Scotland, the whole thing turns into a giant mystery. She starts researching the island and realizes that the fictional murder plot Iris came up with matches a real-life cold case from 1904. Back then, there was a double drowning, and a local girl known as the "Wild Girl" just vanished into thin air.
Emma ends up teaming up with Iris’s handsome lawyer, a guy named Tony Gordon, to try and get to the bottom of it. They end up running into a ton of resistance from the wealthy family that still lives in the local castle because they definitely want those old secrets to stay buried.
The characters are what really hooked me. Emma is relatable, and her bond with Iris is honestly heartbreaking because you see this brilliant author slowly losing her memories.
There is also a nice little romantic element with Tony that builds up naturally while they are exploring the island. The book jumps around between different timelines like 1904, 1932, and the 1960s, but it is easy to follow. The pacing is perfect. The descriptions of the misty Scottish Highlands and the chilly old castle make you feel like you are right there.
The story has an incredible ending that I did not see coming at all. I highly recommend picking this one up if you want a cozy, atmospheric mystery to get lost in.
Thank you, NetGalley, Lake Union Publishing, and author Rhys Bowen, for providing me with a copy of this ebook review consideration. All review opinions are my own.
#NetGalley
#LakeUnionPublishing
#RhysBowen author
#TheCastleintheGlen
http://goodreads.com/patriciasreadingroom
http://www.patriciasreadingroom.blogspot.com
No comments:
Post a Comment