Rated: 5 star rating
I just finished listening to the audiobook of The Dog Who Was There by Ron Marasco, and I really want to share how much I loved it. This is an amazing story that is perfect for anyone who loves dogs or historical fiction.
The entire book is told through the eyes of a little scruffy dog named Barley. He starts out being rescued from a bad storm as a puppy by a very kind couple named Adah and Duv. He has a happy life with them full of warm naps and full bowls, but a tragedy separates them, and Barley is forced out onto the tough, dangerous streets of first-century Jerusalem.
From there, the story gets really interesting. Barley becomes companions with a homeless thief named Samid. They go through a lot of hardships together, but they also hear about a gentle teacher from Galilee that everyone calls the "Kind Man". Watching Barley react to the world around him is so sweet and believable. The author makes you feel exactly what a dog would feel, total loyalty to his masters, confusion over why humans can be so mean, and a great capacity for love.
Since I listened to the audio version, I got to hear the author, Ron Marasco, read it himself. He does a fantastic job. Sometimes authors aren't great at narrating, but he has a very warm, soothing voice that fits a dog’s perspective perfectly. He gives different voices to the characters, like making Samid sound rugged and the Kind Man sound incredibly peaceful, without making it sound forced.
I will warn you that this book will probably make you cry. It gets pretty emotional, especially when Barley witnesses some of the famous historical events in Jerusalem toward the end of the story. But there is also a lot of hope, humor, and a really nice surprise at the end that makes all the sad parts totally worth it.
It’s a very clean, heartfelt story that stays with you long after it’s over. I highly recommend picking up the audio version if you want a quick, touching listen that will make you look at your own pets a little differently.
Thank you, NetGalley, Thomas Nelson and Zondervan Fiction Audio, and author Ron Marasco, and narrator Ron Marasco, for providing me with a copy of this ebook review consideration. All review opinions are my own.
#NetGalley
#ThomasNelsonandZondervanFictionAudio
#Ron Marasco author
#RonMarasco narrator
#TheDogWhoWasThere
http://goodreads.com/patriciasreadingroom
http://www.patriciasreadingroom.blogspot.com
This is a review of the audiobook.
No comments:
Post a Comment