Rated: 4 star rating
I recently read Parables Up the Mountain by Joey Doherty, and it was a really surprising read. Just to clear something up first, it isn't actually a nonfiction book, but it's a fictional story that teaches lessons about real life. The author is a real clinical counselor and wilderness guide, so he uses his actual background to tell a neat story about finding peace.
The story is about a guy called the Seeker who is totally sick of modern society and wants answers about life and God. He decides to climb up a huge mountain to find a legendary Master who is supposed to know everything. The Seeker wants to do this all by himself, but he runs into a very strange, peculiar guy on the trail, named Coyote. Coyote says he believes in Jesus Christ. I feel Seeker isnt sure what he believes, he says he doesnt believe in God. But, like his name, i believe he is seeking.
They end up hiking together, and Coyote keeps telling riddles and parables that challenge how the Seeker views the world. The characters are simple but they make you think about your own life.
The Seeker represents all of us when we get stressed out and want answers. Coyote is like that friend who makes you look at things differently, and the Master is the goal everyone is trying to reach. The mountain itself feels like a character because the author writes so much about nature and how being outside helps heal your mind.
It is a quick and easy book to read, but it leaves you with a lot to think about. It feels like an old folklore story, but it helps with modern problems like stress and fear of failing. If you feel burnt out by the world or just love being out in nature, I definitely recommend giving this one a try. I think this would be good read as an audio book, too.
Thank you BookSirens, Skyroot Books, and author Joey Doherty, for providing me with this ebook review consideration, in exchange for an honest review. I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
#BookSirens
#JoeyDoherty
#SkyrootBooks
#ParablesUptheMountainASeekersTrail
http://goodreads.com/patriciasreadingroom
http://www.patriciasreadingroom.blogspot.com
No comments:
Post a Comment